I told you in my last post how my husband and daughter aren’t big chocolate fans. So is it wrong that I went ahead and made ANOTHER easy chocolate snack? Oops. 😉
Okay all joking aside I just couldn’t help myself. I mean who doesn’t love a good handful of puppy chow? It’s really such an easy sweet treat to whip up AND can totally be made using better-for-you ingredients like I did in this version. By subbing in creamy organic almond butter, dark chocolate made with no refined sugars or dairy, tossing it all in a confectioners sugar sub (aka a 0 calorie sweetener) and collagen you have the best gluten-free, whole grain, protein packed, low sugar snack. It’s only about 2g sugar per cup and 9g of protein!
And for the record, even those who don’t care much for chocolate in my house still ate some!
Easy Puppy Chow
Author: The Hungry Happy Mama
Yields: about 4-5 cups
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 4 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1/2 c dairy-free chocolate (I used this)
- 1/4 c creamy nut butter
- 1/3 c Swerve powdered sugar
- 2 scoops Furtherfood Vanilla Collagen (Use code THEHUNGRYHAPPYMAMA10 for a discount)
- Add the cereal to a large bowl and set aside.
- Combine the chocolate and nut butter in a bowl and microwave on high or place in a double broiler on the stovetop to melt until smooth. Stir frequently with either method to prevent burning.
- In the meantime whisk the powdered sugar and collagen in a separate small bowl and set aside.
- Once the chocolate and nut butter is melted pour over cereal and generally fold to combine.
- Pour the powdered sugar mixture on top and shake the bowl to coat all of the cereal.
- Serve immediately or store in a sealable bag or container for later!