Breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day. I could seriously eat it 24/7; eggs, pancakes, bagels, toast, oatmeal, french toast, waffles if it falls somewhere in the category of breakfast I’ll happily take it, fork (or spoon) ready.
One dish I seriously can’t get enough of is french toast. It’s such a classic breakfast food made simply with bread, eggs, milk, and maybe the occasional spices. I’ve always enjoyed a good slice or two of french toast soaked in all its eggy goodness, pan fried, and drizzled with syrup…but then I happened upon THIS version and there was just no going back.
First, let me tell you about my favorite bread. AWG Bakery is my go-to for a grain-free and vegan version. It’s not everyday when you can find a good grain-free option let alone one that gets delivered to your door and is also AH-mazing! It makes the perfect vessel for avocado toast, french toast, grilled cheese, anything where bread is needed IT WORKS! So, when I began to eat this bread religiously I simultaneously wanted to experiment with my uses, as in as much as I love my daily avo-toast I needed to expand my horizons. So I thought what better than to combine both my love for breakfast and love for creating and make a NEW kind of french toast. Okay, maybe the concept of a french toast muffin isn’t new BUT have you had it with a grain-free, vegan bread that’s bursting with banana, cinnamon, and vanilla?! No? Well than you’ve come to right place!
My spin on the traditional dish makes for a fun, family-friendly breakfast, brunch, or snack. This healthy muffin version is free of grain, gluten, dairy, and refined sugar. We love topping ours with some dairy-free chocolate chips and maple syrup but the options are truly endless! This recipe comes together in 30 minutes and doesn’t require any overnight prep work so no worries if you don’t plan ahead! It also can easily be doubled and/or tripled to feed a larger crowd or for meal prep. Trust me you’re probably going to want to triple this one. 😉
Cinnamon Banana Baked French Toast Muffins
Author: The Hungry Happy Mama
Yields: 3 muffins*
Prep time: 5 minutes
Bake time: 25-30 minutes
- 1 large slice of AWG Bakery Cinnaspice Bread
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 c unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- optional toppings: maple syrup, banana slices, dairy-free chocolate chips, nuts and/or nut butter
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Line 3 muffin cups in a pan with either cooking spray or silicone liners.
- Slice the bread into bite-sized cubes and place into each muffin cup to fill.
- Whisk together the eggs, almond milk, maple syrup, banana, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Pour over the bread to fill each cup.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and egg has cooked throughout.
- Allow the muffins to cool before removing from the pan.
- Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Storing: muffins will keep for up to 3 days in the fridge stored in an airtight container.
*Recipe note: this recipe can easily be doubled or tripled;
- To make 6 muffins: double all of the ingredients.
- To make 9 muffins: triple all of the ingredients.
This post was sponsored by AWG Bakery