Nothing says summer quite like an ice cream sandwich. All of those sweet, melty flavors just can’t be beat…
On second thought, what about an ice cream sandwich that has all of those crave-able features AND also combines the awesomeness of a chewy, sweet, and salty chocolate chip cookie? I’d say this is a sandwich I can’t wait to sink my teeth into. And lucky for you I have and it’s PERFECT!
I don’t like to go around shouting from the roof tops that my recipes are amazing but in this case, you’d better believe that I climbed every roof top, shouted it as loud as I could, and probably annoyed a few neighbors in the process. However, I assure you it was all worth it.
This recipe checks every box on my ice cream sandwich checklist; sweet, salty, chocolatey, vanilla-y, chewy, nutty, creamy, gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, delicious and so easy to make. There really isn’t much more you need in a dessert, in my opinion. Plus, the fact that its homemade will make your family and/or dessert guests crown you as a kitchen rockstar.
Featured in this recipe is my newest favorite coconut oil from Little Jasmine. It’s the perfect addition to these cookies helping to give them a chewy texture. I love this product not only because it’s perfect for baking but because it’s also USDA organic, cold-pressed to maximize nutrient retention, raw, kosher and Halal certified. You can purchase this amazing product HERE and use my code 20HAPPYMAMA to get 20% off your purchase! (valid until 8/8/20)
Sweet + Salty Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches
Author: The Hungry Happy Mama
Yields: 6 sandwiches
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 25 minutes
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 c coconut sugar
- 1/4 c coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 c maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 c fine ground almond flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 c mini dairy-free chocolate chips + additional for decorating
- gluten-free pretzels
- flaky sea salt
- 6 large bananas, peeled and sliced into pieces
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Prep the ice cream: first, add your sliced bananas to a food processor or blender along with the vanilla and sea salt. Pulse on high until you achieve a smooth consistency.
- Add the ice cream to a freezer-friendly container and place in the freezer to set.
- To make the cookies: start by adding the eggs, coconut sugar, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla to a large mixing bowl and whisk until combined.
- Next, add the almond flour, baking soda, and sea salt. Continue to mix until no lumps remain.
- Lastly, fold in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Place the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up a bit before baking.
- When ready to bake the cookies: preheat your oven to 350F and line a large baking sheet with parchment or a silicone liner.
- Scoop out the dough about 1/4 c at a time and form into a ball. Place the ball onto the prepared pan and repeat for the remaining dough. Make sure to space out the cookies quite a bit as they will spread out during baking.
- Gently press down on the center of each cookie to flatten slightly and then press a pretzel into the top of each.
- Bake the cookies for 25 minutes until golden. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before assembling the sandwiches.
- When ready to make the ice cream sandwiches: remove the ice cream from the freezer and using a small cookie scoop or spoon scoop out some of the ice cream, gently press it onto the bottom of a cookie, and then press another cookie on top to ‘sandwich’ it in. Finally, roll the sandwich on its side in the remaining chocolate chips to coat the ice cream. Repeat this step for the remaining cookies.
- Enjoy immediately or freeze sandwiches until ready to enjoy!
This post was sponsored by Little Jasmine.