I’m never not trying to create delicious, easy, nutritious meals. My best time for coming up with new dishes is, believe it or not, just before I fall asleep at night. Although, many nights I barely make it to the pillow let alone spend time there thinking.
However, when I do manage to stay awake just long enough to conjure up something new in my head you’d better believe I’m tackling it not even 24 hours later. (Patience has never been my strong suit.)
For example, this easy, veggie-packed take on stuffed peppers came to me one night while thinking about some peppers sitting in my fridge that I needed to use up. And with a little brain power left from day, my vision not only came to life, but came to be a HUGE hit in our house. You’d never guess these hearty, full of flavor peppers were sans meat. Instead, they’re loaded with everything from brown rice, tempeh, lots of fresh veggies, marinara, and cheese…definitely can’t forget the cheese!
This gluten-free and vegan meal comes together in 30 minutes and makes for a fun take on the traditional dish. Hope you enjoy this delicious dinner idea as much as my family does!
Veggie Stuffed Peppers
Author: The Hungry Happy Mama
Yields: 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook/Bake time: 30 minutes
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 1/4 c brown rice
- 1/2 c water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 c sweet onion, diced small
- 1/2 c zucchini, diced small
- 1/4 c white mushrooms, diced small
- 1 package of tempeh
- 1 c marinara sauce
- 1 c dairy-free mozzarella, grated
- Preheat your oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with an oven-safe liner or parchment.
- Slice peppers lengthwise and remove the seeds and core. Place halves, cut side down, onto the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes until just fork tender. (Note: don’t overcook as they will continue to bake with the filling later.)
- While the peppers are cooking make the rice by placing it in a small pot along with the water. Bring to boil on high heat, once boiling, reduce to simmer, cover and cook until all of the liquid is absorbed. Set aside once ready.
- To make the rest of the filling warm the oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until tender, about 3 more minutes.
- Crumble the tempeh and add to the pan along with the cooked rice and marinara. Toss to combine and shut off heat.
- Fill the peppers by adding the filling to each half. Then, top each generously with cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes until cheese has melted.
- Remove and serve warm.
Storing: peppers will keep for 4 days in an airtight container in the fridge.