Just because I haven’t been eating meat aside from eggs and fish doesn’t mean I’m sacrificing my enjoyment of grilled food. I’ve been cooking up lots of delicious summer inspired dishes that are PERFECT for the grill (or grill pan)! And the best part is they’re all so EASY!
And you know when the word easy is involved I’m all over it…I can’t ever pass up a dinner that’s quick and uses minimal ingredients just like these vegan and gluten-free BBQ Tempeh and Pineapple Skewers. They’re full of fresh crisp veggies, sweet pineapple, protein-packed tempeh, and lots of tangy BBQ sauce. Not only is this a dinner prefect for a busy weeknight but it’s equally as good for a weekend BBQ. With just 40 minutes (ish) to spare you can serve this summer recipe that the whole family is sure to love. Plus, you know your family will like it even more when they get to eat food off a stick?! 😉
Now who’s excited to get that grill warmed up?!
BBQ Tempeh and Pineapple Skewers
Author: The Hungry Happy Mama
Yields: 4 servings
Pre time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 10-12 minutes
- 1 package of tempeh
- 1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce (check you label to keep it gluten-free)
- 2 c pineapple
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 small red onion
- 2 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- wooden skewers
- your favorite grain- farro, quinoa, or brown rice (optional)
- To prep the tempeh: start by slicing the block into large pieces and add to a large freezer bag or container.
- Pour in about 1/2 cup of the BBQ sauce and toss to coat the tempeh. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to marinate while you prep the other ingredients.
- To prep the grain: if serving with a grain, boil the water and cook the as directed on the package. Cover and set aside when ready to keep warm.
- To prep the veggies: wash and slice all of the remaining veggies and pineapple into large bite-sized pieces (you want them big enough that they won’t break/fall off the skewers.
- Warm up the grill or grill pan on medium-high heat.
- To assemble the skewers: lightly wet the wooden skewers to prevent them from burning. Slide, in any order, the marinated tempeh, pineapple, and veggies onto a skewer leaving enough empty space at each end to pick it up. Place it on a dish and continue until all of the ingredients are used up. Brush each skewer with a little oil to prevent sticking to the grill.
- To cook: place the skewers on the preheated grill or grill pan. You want a nice sear so you should hear a sizzle once the skewers are over the heat. Cook for about 5 minutes and rotate. Continue rotating every 5 minutes until each side has been seared and the veggies are just slightly tender.
- Serve warm over the grain with a side of BBQ for dipping!
Storing: store any leftovers for up to 4 days in an airtight container in the fridge.