If you love enchiladas just as much as our family does than this one’s for you! This easy casserole is layered with tender and juicy jackfruit, chewy tortillas, melty cheese, hearty spinach, savory beans, and of course sweet and tangy green enchilada sauce! It’s layers upon layers of flavor that makes the most delicious meal for the whole family!
My favorite part about this recipe, besides all the goodness that I steady mentioned, is that you can save yourself a ton of time by prepping this whole recipe ahead and placing it in the fridge/freezer until you’re ready to bake and serve. It’s the perfect recipe when you need a meal fast or need to plan ahead.
Oh and did I also mention it’s vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, and nut-free?!
If you need a few other plan ahead casseroles check out these other easy recipes:
- Vegan Shepard’s Pie
- Butternut Squash Lasagna
- Chicken Sweet Potato + Black Bean Enchiladas
- BBQ Chicken + Sweet Potato Casserole
Jackfruit Enchilada Verde Casserole
Author: The Hungry Happy Mama
Yields: about 6 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 35 minutes
- 2- 20oz cans young green jackfruit, core removed
- 1- 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 c of green enchilada sauce
- 8 grain-free tortillas
- 2 large handfuls fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups vegan mozzarella
- Sliced avocado to serve
- Lightly spray an oven-safe casserole dish with a avocado oil/olive oil spray.
- Add the jackfruit pieces to a large bowl and mash with a fork until it remembers shredded chicken.
- Add the black beans, oil, and all spices. Mix well to combine.
- To assemble the casserole: First, spread some of the enchilada sauce onto the bottom of the pan (just enough to cover the bottom).
- Next, place enough tortilla onto the pan to cover, you want them to overlap a bit (my pan fit 2).
- Then, spread some of the jackfruit mixture over the tortillas to cover.
- Lastly, sprinkle with spinach and then cheese.
- Repeat in the same order until you’ve used all of the tortillas and/or jackfruit filling- sauce, tortillas, jackfruit, cheese, spinach.
- When you reach the final layer of tortillas, top with a thin layer of sauce and cheese.
- Cover and bake immediately at 350F for 35 minutes, removing the foil during the last 5 minutes. You can also cover and place in the fridge and bake later (bake within 24 hours of assembly.
Storing: casserole will keep for 4 days in the fridge in an airtight container.