Upgrade your #tacotuesday or any day of the week for that matter with these insanely easy (and delicious) fish lettuce wraps. This refreshing dish is just as much fun to assemble as they are to eat! These wraps not only create a light main course but also double as a fun appetizer to share with family or friends.
I created this recipe using the perfect light and flaky Sizzlefish wild Atlantic haddock. Using a mild white fish for this recipe really lets the aioli shine giving these wraps a tangy, spicy burst of flavor. I love how quickly this dish comes together, with minimal cook time and minimal ingredients it’s sure to become a summer favorite!
How to cook the perfect stove top fish:
- Start with a good oil. I prefer using avocado oil since it has a high heat threshold. It also has is mild in flavor so it doesn’t effect the fish/spice flavor you’re trying to create.
- The amount of oil should be just enough to generously coat your pan. You filets shouldn’t be “swimming” in oil.
- Make sure to dry the fish well before adding to the pan since don’t want to add excess moisture to the cooking process.
- Season before cooking and be generous about it. I like to season both sides with sea salt and pepper before cooking.
- Only flip once! Not only will constant flipping cause your fish to fall apart but it will also prevent it from getting a nice sear/crispy crust.
- Invest in a fish spatula. There’s a wide range of good ones out there that don’t cost a lot but having the right tool makes all the difference. Your spatula should be metal and thin that will be able to get under the fish without breaking it.
Fish Lettuce Wraps with Spicy Pepper Aioli
Author: The Hungry Happy Mama
Yields: 2-4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 7 minutes
- 1 iceberg head lettuce
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 Sizzlefish haddock filets
- 1/2 c red onion, sliced thin
- lime wedges
- flaky sea salt
Spicy Pepper Aioli
- 1/4 c avocado oil mayo (I use this)
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of sea salt and pepper
- To prep the tacos: wash and dry the lettuce and remove the large outer leaves (the larger leaves work best for the wraps). Slice and set aside the avocado and lime wedges.
- To prep the aioli: whisk together the mayo, lime juice, cayenne, garlic powder, sea salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- To make the fish: begin by rinsing and patting dry the filets with paper towels and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Warm the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to sizzle the pan is ready.
- Place each filet along with the onions in the warm pan. Cook the fish for 2-3 minutes (adjust the time if the filets are a thicker cut). Flip once the underside appears golden. Cook for 2 minutes. Toss the onions frequently until they appear slightly translucent. Remove the fish and onions once ready.
- To assemble the wraps: start by filling each lettuce wrap with some of the flaky fish, next top each with a few of the onions, followed by a slice or two of avocado, a drizzle of the aioli, and lastly a squeeze of lime. Serve immediately.
Storing: fish will keep for 3-4 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Note: this recipe makes quite a bit of the aioli. If you have any leftovers store them in a small mason jar or container and use as a topping for salads, burgers, chicken, or for dipping!
Thank you to Sizzlefish.com for sponsoring this post!