One snack I always loved as a kid was rice crispy treats. Those crunchy, chewy, marshmallow packed bars were the quintessential after school snack. Not only was sinking my teeth into all that goodness my little moment of kid-heaven but making them was just as fun! Plus, it was the one thing that truly you couldn’t mess up. Melt, mix, press, and viola, the perfect snack in a sticky, ooey, gooey square.
Fast forward to me in my 30’s and all I can hone in on is the amount of sugar and processed “stuff” I devoured in each one of those treats. Eeeek! Well lucky for me (and you) I’ve come up with a healthier version packed with the same crispy, sweet, chewy flavors and textures without the guilt and struggle trying to pronounce ingredients!
This vegan version may be sans your traditional marshmallow but throw in some flavors like honey, coconut, and vanilla and I can promise you you won’t even miss the other version! Not only do these bars require only 4 simple ingredients but they pack in 5g protein per bar so you get a little bonus with each bite!
I hope this becomes a new family favorite just as much as it is in our house!
4 Ingredient Cereal Bars
Author: The Hungry Happy Mama
Yields: 8 bars
Prep time: 10 minutes
Set time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 c coconut oil
- 1/2 c raw honey
- 1/3 c vanilla protein powder
- 2 c gluten-free crispy rice cereal*
- Line a loaf pan with a long piece of parchment so that the paper hangs over the sides (this will make removing the bars easier) and set aside.
- Either in a small saucepan over low heat or in the microwave melt the coconut oil and honey together.
- Remove from the heat once liquid and stir in the protein powder. The mixture will begin to thicken slightly as it cools.
- Add the rice cereal to a large mixing bowl and pour in the wet ingredients. Gently fold together to coat the cereal.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and carefully press to flatten and even out so the mixture fills the pan.
- Place the pan in the freezer to set for 30 minutes.
- Once the mixture has hardened, remove from the freezer and gently lift the contents out of the pan by pulling on the overhanging parchment.
- Slice the bars with a sharp knife into equal portions.
- Enjoy immediately or store in the fridge for up to a week.
I used Trader Joe‘s version which isn’t labeled GF but doesn’t have any wheat ingredients included. You can sub any crispy rice cereal you prefer just make sure the ingredients are clean and use GF if needed.
You can use your favorite vanilla protein powder but keep in mind the consistency of powders can vary slightly if you find the mixture not moist enough add an additional equal amounts each of coconut oil and honey.