Since having eliminated dairy from my diet (wahhh) I swear I crave it even more. Luckily, there’s so many amazing dairy-free alternatives out there now from yogurts to cheese and everything in between. The downside is some of the alternatives can be a bit pricey and even hard to track down so being able to make your own is better for both your wallet and your gas mileage.
Take this vegan alfredo sauce for example. This sauce can hard to come by sans the traditional cheeses so saving myself a boat load of time by incorporating just a few basic ingredients into my blender is really a no brainer! It’s the easiest sauce to make for a healthy weeknight meal and even can be made ahead of time for those crazy days when time is of the essence (um, always!).
I love this lightened up version paired with tender chicken and a little bit sweet roasted squash. It’s a low carb, dairy-free, gluten-free take on a traditional dish that is full of flavor and perfect for the whole family any day of the week!
See the recipe notes below for some easy swaps and suggestions!
Paleo Chicken Alfredo with Spaghetti Squash
Author: The Hungry Happy Mama
Yields: 2 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 to 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt + pepper to taste
- fresh parsley (optional)
- 1 c raw cashews
- 3/4 c water
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- sea salt + pepper to taste
- Soak cashews in cold water while you complete steps 2-5.
- Preheat your oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone liner or foil.
- Wash and slice the spaghetti squash in half vertically, drizzle one tablespoon of oil over the cut sides, then place cut sides down onto the prepared pan. Roast in the over for 30-40 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from the oven once ready.
- In the meantime warm the additional tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium-low.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place in the warmed pan. Cook both sides of the chicken until the internal temperature reaches 165F, about 8-10 minutes each side (depending on thickness of your pieces). Remove from the pan and let rest once ready.
- To make the alfredo sauce rinse and drain the cashews that have been soaking. Combine all of the sauce ingredients, along with the cashews, in a high powdered blender of food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Shred the spaghetti squash with a fork once slightly cool then toss the squash with some of the sauce to coat.
- Slice the chicken breasts into strips.
- To plate, add some of the spaghetti squash then top with some of the sliced chicken along with additional sauce, if desired. Sprinkle with parsley to finish.
Storing: this dish will last up to 3 days in the fridge in an airtight container. I don’t recommend freezing this recipe.
Time saver: If you’re in a pinch for time you can make each component ahead and store them separately in the fridge, just warm before serving.
Don’t do chicken? This dish can easily be made vegan, too, just swap out the chicken for grilled/sautéed tempeh- yum! Or you can omit the added component all together.
Need an extra crunch? Crush some raw cashews and sprinkle over the top before serving.
Pasta swaps: if you’re not feeling the squash just toss with your favorite gluten-free linguine or pasta instead.