So many of you have been requesting easy meal prep ideas! If you know me, you know how much this excites me since I’m all about the convenient and the healthy. Being able to prep a whole meal using just simple, clean ingredients that can power me through the hectic week is any Mom with a toddler’s dream come true. I don’t always have a million or even two extra minutes to spend in the kitchen figuring out what I’m going to eat for lunch so being able to grab something from the fridge that’s packed with protein, energy producing carbs, healthy fats, and so much flavor is simply, amazing!
This easy Thai Quinoa Salad is just that- simple and delicious! It’s the perfect make ahead lunch and/or the perfect side to a healthy family-friendly dinner! Although this salad is delicious alone it also pairs perfectly with roasted chicken, grilled shrimp, or even crispy tofu!
Did you know?
- Quinoa is a complete plant-based protein meaning you get all 9 of the essential amino acids per serving.
- Quinoa contains twice as much fiber as most other grains which is perfect for heart health.
- Quinoa is a gluten-free food and almost always grown organically.
- Aside from 8g of protein per serving and a double dose of fiber, quinoa is loaded with iron, copper, thiamin and vitamin B6, all essential to your health.
- Quinoa is SUCH a versatile food, it can be eaten as a cold salad, as a warm side dish in place of rice or pasta, warmed with milk and fruit in place of oatmeal, and used in baked goods like cake, cookies- the options are endless!
Thai Quinoa Salad
Author: The Hungry Happy Mama
Yields: 4-6 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: about 20 minutes
- 1 c quinoa
- 2 c water
- 1 large or 2 c small baby bell peppers, sliced thin
- 3 c shredded cabbage or broccoli slaw mix
- 1/4 c raw cashews
- 2 celery stalks, chopped small
- 1/4 c green onion, chopped
- 1/4 c fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 c warm water
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- pinch red pepper flakes
- Rinse and drain the quinoa then add it to a pot with a tightly fitting lid along with the water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling reduce the heat to low and let simmer until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Once done, remove from heat and fluff with a fork. (This step can be be done ahead of time!)
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all of the remaining salad ingredients along with the cooked and cooled quinoa.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately or portion out into mason jars or sealable containers for an easy lunch throughout the week.
Storing: this salad will last for up to 5 days in the fridge.