Meal prepping can seem daunting. It can be overwhelming to think about preparing enough food for several days in advance…but it actually can be quite simple.
As a busy mom with limited time I like to choose simple recipes that I can make ahead that don’t require a big mess, lots of time, or a never ending list of ingredients. The key is to keep it simple and clean. And the end result is a healthy meal you don’t have to think about or prepare on the fly during a busy day.
Salads are always an easy option that require little to no cooking at all. Being able to incorporate colorful, fresh ingredients and various textures and flavors makes it meal that never gets old! One of my favorites is this Tempeh Taco Bowl. It’s a meal made in only 10 minutes that packs in lots of plant-based protein, vitamin filled veggies, and healthy fats. This low carb option is perfect for lunch at home, at your desk, in your car- or anywhere!
Don’t forget to invest in some reusable, sealable containers like these ones made from recycled plastic. It’s a great way to produce less waste and makes packing it in a bag or backpack so easy!
Tempeh Taco Bowl
Author: The Hungry Happy Mama
Yields: 2 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 8 minutes
- 1 package of Trader Joe’s Organic Tempeh
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 c sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp of your favorite taco spice blend
Bowl ingredient options:
- Mixed greens
- Bell peppers
- Black beans
- In a skillet or fry pan sauté the onions with the oil over medium heat until translucent.
- Crumble the tempeh and add it to the pan along with the spice blend. If the mixture seems to dry you can add additional oil.
- Once the mixture is warmed through remove from the heat.
- Slice/chop/prep your bowl ingredients and place into containers for storing along with the tempeh mixture.
- Enjoy right away or store for up to 5 days in the fridge for a healthy lunch or dinner that’s ready to go!