I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again baking is not my strong suit- however when the holidays roll around I’m suddenly wanting to bake ALL THE THINGS.
One thing I’ve learned when it comes to creating new recipes is work with what you know. Many of my recipes are variations of one another. You’d be surprised how much the slightest tweak in ingredients can create a whole new flavor and texture.
These easy Gingerbread Muffins made from simple ingredients are just one of those recipes (as you know I LOVE muffins!) and make the perfect holiday snack for even the littlest of eaters. They’re not overly sweet and have the perfect balance of spice. These gluten-free muffins should be on every holiday baking list!
Although this recipe yields 10 muffins just double the batch for a larger crowd or bake in a mini muffin pan for a bite-sized treat!
Author: The Hungry Happy Mama
Yields: 10 muffins
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 15 minutes
- 2 c gluten-free baking flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 large banana
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1/3 c coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 c almond milk
- 1/3 c molasses
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- organic powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400F. Line 10 cups in a standard-sized muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, and sea salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl mash the banana until minimal clumps remain.
- Add the orange zest, coconut oil, almond milk, molasses, maple syrup, and vanilla and mix until all of the wet ingredients are incorporated.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until combined (do not over mix).
- Divide the mixture evenly among the muffin liners.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool on a wire rack and sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
Storing: muffins will keep at room temperature for up to 4 days. Store in the fridge or freeze for a longer shelf life.