If I were to be one hundred percent transparent right now eating a salad mid-winter is as much fun for me as a trip to the dentist. Although though I do love a good refreshing salad, when I’m basically just trying to stay warm for a solid 5 ish months straight cold food really doesn’t do it for me.
What DOES do it for me, though, is anything that screams comfort food. This time of year I am constantly being drawn to hearty veggie and grain-based dishes filled with savory herbs and seasonal flavors. One dish in particular that I LOVE right now and that also hits all of the marks is this Butternut Squash Lasagna.
I know, I know, lasagna is usually followed up with the immediate thought of, “Ugh, so much work!” and yes I’m right there with you! However, THIS veggie packed lasagna not only requires no pre-cooking components whatsoever but it’s also completely vegan! Yup, this dish encompasses all of the traditional flavors without the heavy ingredients, meat, or dairy. It’s also entirely gluten-free! So really how can you go wrong?! This delicious dish layered with all the right stuff makes the perfect comforting meal the whole family will enjoy!
- I purchase Kite Hill products at my local Whole Foods. However, you can sub the cheeses for other brands just check your labels to keep vegan and GF (if desired).
- You can also sub for a different tempeh brand but I love Trader Joe’s organic tempeh- at only $1.99 per package it’s the best deal and so good!
- Make sure to keep all of the butternut squash slices 1/8 inch thick to ensure even cooking.
- If you prefer a crispier top layer you can set your oven to broil during the last 5 minutes to melt the cheese- just watch it to prevent any burning!
- This is also a great prep-ahead meal! You can assemble the whole dish and then refrigerate or freeze until ready to bake. If frozen simply defrost prior to in the fridge then cook as directed.
Butternut Squash Lasagna
Author: The Hungry Happy Mama
Yields: 6-8 Servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 1 hour
- 1 butternut squash
- 2 packages Trader Joes organic tempeh
- 1 jar marinara
- 2 c Kite hill almond milk ricotta (or sub other vegan brand)
- 2 c Kite hill vegan shredded mozzarella
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- sea salt + pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375F and lightly spray an oven-safe casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Wash and peel the butternut squash. Slice the longer portion from the bulb. You can save the bulb for other recipes as you won’t be needing it for this recipe. Slice the remaining section of squash into 1/8 inch rounds and set aside.
- Crumble the tempeh into a large bowl and stir in the jar of marinara.
- In a separate smaller bowl, combine the ricotta, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, crushed red pepper, sea salt and pepper.
- To assemble the lasagna: start by adding about 1 1/2 cups of the tempeh sauce to the bottom of the pan and spread to create an even base layer, follow with a layer of the butternut squash making sure to overlap the slices slightly, then add 3/4 cup of the ricotta and lastly 1/2 cup of mozzarella.
- Repeat the same for the second layer.
- To finish the top layer arrange the remaining butternut squash over the top and any remaining tempeh sauce to cover (wait to add the rest of the mozzarella).
- Bake the lasagna for one hour or until the butternut squash can be pierced easily with a fork.
- During the last five minutes add a layer of the mozzarella on top and remove from the oven once melted.
- Allow the lasagna to cool slightly before slicing and serving.
Storing: this lasagna will keep up to one week in the fridge and can also be frozen for a longer shelf life.