I’ve never really been a huge fan of key lime pie. For some reason I prefer my pies to be filled with things like apples or berries…BUT I’ll make an exception for these Key Lime Protein Bites any day. These no-bake treats are the perfect balance of sweet and tart and make the easiest on-the-go snack that doesn’t leave you stuffed full of unnecessary sugar and fat like a slice of pie would. I love the texture of these bite-sized treats- think cookie dough meets spoonful of almond butter meets coconut macaroon…and now that you’re probably needing to wipe the drool from your screen go and grab these few basic ingredients and make yourself a batch of these summery, guilt-free bites!
What you need (and probably already have!)
- unflavored vegan protein powder (I prefer unflavored so I can control the amount of sweetness and flavoring)
- creamy natural almond butter (go for the unsalted and no added sugars- it’s called almond butter so it should be JUST almonds!)
- collagen peptides (this is optional but adds some healthy benefits for joints, skin, improves digestion, builds muscle, etc.)
- raw honey (raw honey is loaded with phytonutrients which are responsible for its antioxidant, antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. It’s been shown that these things help boost immune power and fight off disease.)
- unsweetened coconut (loaded with healthy saturated fats, in moderation coconut can actually help burn fat and raise good HDL cholesterol)
- vanilla extract (choose one that’s pure vanilla and preferably organic to avoid unwanted chemicals and a funny aftertaste.)
- pink Himalayan sea salt (I could go on about the pros of this one forever but in a nutshell; it creates a balance in pH and electrolyte levels, regulates water and hydration, aids in metabolic function, strengthens bones, and lowers blood pressure.)
- lime (there are actually a boat-load of benefits to citrus fruits including being an excellent source of immune-boosting vitamin C!)
Key Lime Protein Bites
Author: The Happy Hungry Yogi
Yields: 15 bites
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 2/3 c unflavored vegan protein powder (can also sub for vanilla through flavor/texture will change a bit)
- 2 scoops of collagen peptides (omit to make vegan)
- 2/3 c creamy almond butter
- 1/4 c raw honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp lime zest
- pinch of pink sea salt
- 1/3 c unsweetened coconut flakes
- In a mixing bowl combine all of the ingredients except the coconut and mix until you achieve a moldable batter*. (Note: you can warm your almond butter/honey to make it softer for easier mixing.)
- Add the coconut to a shallow bowl or dish.
- Scoop out the batter (a couple of tablespoons per bite- I used a small cookie scoop for this step but you can also use a tablespoon), roll into a ball, then gently roll in the coconut to coat. Place the bite onto a sheet pan.
- Repeat step 3 until all of the batter is used.
- Enjoy immediately or pop the bites in the fridge to set for at least one hour if you prefer them a bit firmer.
Storing: I keep these bites in a tightly sealed container in the fridge for up to a week, although they generally don’t last that long! You can also store in the freezer for a longer shelf life just take out and let thaw a bit before enjoying.
Nutrition: (per bite) 110 calories/7.5g fat/7g carbs/5.5g protein/5g sugar
*Note: some protein powders are drier than others. If your mixture is too crumbly add one tablespoon of water.
* (use code THEAPPYHUNGRYYOGI10 for a discount on Furtherfood Collagen!)