I remember being pregnant with Emerson and having the BIGGEST craving for bagels and cream cheese. As in I would even drive a half hour out my way if meant me passing a bagel shop. Prior to, it was never a food I “craved” that often. However, when you can no longer see your feet, waddle around like a cranky duck, and are exhausted from growing a human, bagels for breakfast, lunch, and dinner are totally acceptable. Trust me, you never argue food choices with a pregnant woman. NEVER.
On second thought, pregnant or not, THESE bagels are definitely allowed to be on your menu 24/7 because not only are they the easiest (take it from me) but they are only 170 calories per bagel and pack 6g protein! This recipe also uses only 6 ingredients, including the infamous Trader Joe’s Everything But the Bagel Seasoning, and are yeast-free so there’s no waiting around from start to finish. No waiting?! Now, that’s my kind of bagel!
The BEST part, though, is getting them all nice and crispy on a Baking Steel. If you aren’t familiar with this amazing pizza stone developed right here in Massachusetts then you just aren’t cooking right. This awesome gadget bakes everything from pizza to bagels to cookies and even doubles as a flat top grill for yummy things like eggs, burgers, and french toast! I love how versatile the Baking Steel Mini is and since it’s my current best friend in the kitchen I’m giving one of you awesome followers the chance to win one!
To enter, just head on over to my Instagram page @thehappyhungryyogi and follow the rules in the caption. (Giveaway ends Thursday 3/21 11:59pm EST)
Good luck and happy bagel making!
Easy Everything Bagels
Author: The Happy Hungry Yogi
Yields: 8 bagels
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 20 minutes
- 2 c organic whole wheat all purpose flour + additional for rolling out dough
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 c plain organic whole milk greek yogurt
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- Everything Bagel Seasoning (you can also sub sesame seeds, poppy seeds and/or dried garlic flakes)
- Preheat your oven to 350F with your Baking Steel inside.*
- Add the flour, baking powder, and sea salt in a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Fold in the yogurt and milk until you achieve a tacky, moldable dough.
- Lightly dust a flat surface with flour and knead the dough until it’s no longer tacky then roll it into a large bowl. Divide the ball in half, then half again, and half again so you end with 8 equal sized balls of dough.
- Take one ball into your hands and roll it into 3/4 inch ropes and join the ends together to form a bagel. Set aside then repeat this step for each dough ball.
- Carefully slide the preheated Baking Steel out of the oven and place each bagel onto the pan.
- Brush the whisked egg whites onto the top of each bagel then sprinkle generously with the Bagel Seasoning.
- Bake the bagels for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow the bagels to cool before slicing.
Storing: Bagels will keep for up to 3-4 days in an airtight container at room temperature. You can also freeze for a longer shelf life.
*Note: You can also bake these on a sheet pan just line the pan with parchment and do not preheat the pan in the oven as with the original method.