What’s better than breakfast? It’s okay I’ll wait…Yeah, I can’t think of much else either. It’s basically the one meal I could eat all day everyday. Gimme egg and avocado toast forever and ever…
However, when I’m not devouring my usual plate filled with some yummy scrambles, crispy gluten-free toast and perfectly ripe avocado slices I’m reaching for something a tad bit sweeter (but still equally as healthy).
Now, you’re probably wondering where I’m going with this since that picture above is neither avocado toast or a big old plate of pancakes. Well, rest assured it’s bordering even better. Better because these bars pack in ALL of the satisfying requirements of a breakfast AND also double as the perfect snack in between meals! Yup, this treat not only makes you want to reach for another (been there) but seconds is totally acceptable since there’s only 100 calories per bar! (Say whhhaaatt!?)
Yes, yes it’s true I am the genius of guilt-free snacking. Joking, kinda, but seriously though, this guilt-free bar makes the most perfect breakfast. Simply drizzle on your favorite nut butter or honey and you’re on your way to a healthy start to the day! Or, if you need that in between snack to-go just grab a bar and you’ll be satisfied until its meal time again. These bars are also low in sugar (sweetened only with banana and berries) and packed with lots of heart-healthy whole grains. This recipe is a hit in my house and makes the perfect addition to our meal prep for healthy eats throughout the week!
Oatmeal Berry Breakfast Bars
Author: The Happy Hungry Yogi
Yields: 9 Bars
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 40 minutes
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 4 tbsp water
- 2 large very ripe bananas
- 1 c unsweetened dairy-free milk (I used almond)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (it only needs to be soft not melted)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 c gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 c blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 c raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tbsp coconut flakes
- Preheat your oven to 375F. Lightly spray a 9×9 baking dish and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the ground flax and water. Give a quick stir and set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl mash the bananas until almost no lumps remain.
- Add the milk, coconut oil, vanilla, and flax mixture once it has thickened to the bananas. Mix by hand to combine all of the wet ingredients.
- Next, add the oats, cinnamon, baking powder, and sea salt and mix again to incorporate all of the ingredients together (the mixture will be a bit lumpy which is okay).
- Carefully fold in a half cup of each of the berries.
- Pour the contents into the prepared baking dish and smooth with a spatula to even out.
- Gently press the remaining berries into the top and then sprinkle with the coconut flakes.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until center is set and edges and top are golden brown.
- Allow to cool before slicing into 9 bars. Serve drizzled with nut butter, maple syrup, or honey if desired.
Storing: Bars will keep for up to 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge or you can freeze for a longer shelf life.