Sometimes I get a little bit creative with my existing recipes solely because I use what I have on hand, if not the exact ingredients I need. Sometimes it’s a flop. However, other times, like this, it’s a major big win. The recipe that once began as a baked chicken dish turned into, yup you read it right, baked cod!
As you know, I’m all about simple dinners because by the end of the day, generally, I am so wiped out the thought of spending a ton of time in the kitchen over a hot stove and/or oven is menacing. I love how this recipe skips the “hard stuff”, uses only a few basic ingredients and still creates such a hearty and beautiful dish. The buttery cracker crumb topping gives this delicate, flaky fish the perfect balance of salty and crunchy. I finish it with just a light squeeze of lemon and a pinch of fresh parsley at the end. Serve this up with some lightly steamed veggies and you have yourself a healthy, flavorful meal in just minutes (less than 30 from start to finish to be exact)!
(I’ll let you in on a little secret, too- this recipe still does work with chicken just sub out the fish for thinly sliced chicken breast and prep the same. You will have to adjust the cooking time accordingly.)
Baked Cracker Crumb Cod
Author: The Hungry Happy Mama
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 15 minutes
- 4-6 fresh caught cod filets
- 1 c gluten-free crackers
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pink sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp ghee or grass-fed butter
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
- Place the crackers, garlic powder, sea salt, and pepper in a large ziplock bag and with either the bottom of a cup or rolling pin crush the crackers (you do not need to crush until fine, various size crumbs are better).
- Prep your fish by rinsing and patting dry. Lay each piece onto the parchment covered pan leaving a couple of inches in between each to ensure even cooking.
- Sprinkle the cracker crumb mixture over the top of each filet to cover.
- Drizzle about a half of a tablespoon of the ghee over the top of each.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cod is cooked through and is no longer opaque. During the last few minutes put the oven on to low broil to brown the cracker crumbs. (Watch closely as you don’t want it to burn/dry out the fish.)
- Squeeze the half of a lemon over the top and sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve warm over steamed veggies, brown rice or a top a green salad.
Storing: Fish is best served day of because of the cracker crumb topping but will last up to 2 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Nutrition (per 4oz serving): 215cal/ 10g fat/ 7.5g carbs/ <1g sugar/ 28g protein