You don’t need me to tell that an apple a day keeps the doctor away, but I’ll remind you anyway because not only is it that time of year we are apple-ing everything but there’s good reason you should be including them more into your meals. Not only is it so versatile from sweet to savory recipes but it’s quite the little powerhouse of a food! In case you need more convincing than just their taste here you go…
- They can help keep your cholesterol at a healthy level (heart-health is EVERYTHING)
- They can help to give you healthy gums and teeth (who doesn’t want a bright white smile!)
- They can help prevent bone loss and help combat inflammation (sayonara osteoporosis)
- They can improve digestive health (cause gut health is so important!)
- They are good for regulating blood sugar (a great food for diabetics)
- They improve brain function (you know you’ve always wanted Albert Einstein smarts)
- They can aid in weight loss (Hallelujah!)
So what are you waiting for? Who needs a better excuse to eat an apple a day!?
Apple Pie Smoothie
Author: The Hungry Happy Mama
Makes: 2 smoothies
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 1 large frozen banana
- 1 small to medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 2 scoops vanilla plant-based protein powder
- 2 tbsp creamy almond butter
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- 1 tsp apple pie spice
- 1 1/2 c unsweetened almond milk
- additional apples and/or nut butter to top
- Combine all of the ingredients, except the toppings, to a high powdered blender. Pulse until smooth. Add additional almond milk if desired.
- Enjoy immediately topped with apples and nut butter.