Since it’s almost Valentine’s Day I couldn’t resist the chance to create a healthy donut recipe featuring none other than fresh red berries. I means who doesn’t love donuts, so, yeah, it was basically a no-brainer!
These donuts may be my new favorite treat to hit the blog. I know, I know, I say that basically every time I post a recipe but I really think this may be it! These grain-free donuts combine just the right amount of sweetness from the strawberries and maple syrup and nuttiness from the almond flour to give you the perfect fluffy little donut. They literally taste just as good un-iced, although (in my opinion) the icing is…um, the icing on the cake, literally!
This simple treat requires minimal ingredients (only 6 before the icing) and can be ready in less than 30 minutes. This recipe is grain and gluten-free and has no refined sugars so it’s a healthy donut, seriously! It makes the perfect Valentine’s Day breakfast or dessert filled with all of the love!
Strawberry Donuts with Coconut Cream Icing
Author: The Hungry Happy Mama
Makes: 6 donuts
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 12-15 minutes
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c almond flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 c strawberries, chopped small
- 1/3 c coconut cream (the thick part from a can)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 300F. Lightly spray a donut pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Add in the almond flour and baking soda and mix by hand until no lumps remain.
- Gently fold in the strawberries.
- Spoon the batter into the donut pan, filling each cavity 3/4 of the way to the top.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until the donuts are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once completely cool, transfer the donuts to a plate for icing.
- When you are ready to decorate, prepare the icing by whisking all of the ingredients together in a in a small bowl.
- Drizzle the icing over the donuts and serve immediately.
Storing: Donuts will last for up to 3-4 days in the fridge in an airtight container. You can also freeze them for a longer shelf life.