I know, I know you’re probably thinking that this is just plain, old, nothing fancy banana bread. Well yes, truthfully, it is just banana bread with nothing stuffed inside, no state of the art kitchen gadgets required, just simple, but delicious bread.
And honestly, I’m okay with that.
Like I always say, good food doesn’t have to be complicated. It doesn’t have to require hours in the kitchen. It doesn’t have to result in equal, if not more hours of clean up or time spent searching for the necessary ingredients in every market in town. Like this yummy, flavorful, HEALTHY bread you can achieve kitchen greatness in no time at all with eight simple ingredients you probably already have at home. Like those extra ripe bananas on your countertop begging to be used.
This one bowl banana bread is almond flour based and uses only a hint of maple syrup along with the natural sweetness of the bananas and cinnamon to create a mildly sweet, nutty flavor and texture. This paleo recipe is nothing short of amazing and definitely isn’t just some boring old bread in my opinion. I love to lather up a warm slice with almond butter and sliced banana. It’s the best kind of “just banana bread” you can find!
- I’ve used both a fine almond flour and almond meal and both work well for this recipe! For a fluffier muffin (less nutty) pot for the finer flour. My favorite brand for both is this.
- Not everyone likes the same add-ins or topping so a fun way to customize this recipe for everyone is to make muffins then individually top with EVERYONE’S favorites!
Paleo Banana Bread
Author: The Hungry Happy Mama
Makes: 1 loaf or 12 muffins
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 45 minutes for loaf or 25 minutes for muffins
- 3 ripe bananas (equaling 1 1/2 c)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 c almond flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- My favorite add-ins (optional): chocolate chips, crushed walnuts, blueberries or crushed pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly spray or grease a 9x5in. loaf pan or muffin pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas using a fork until most of the clumps are removed.
- Add the eggs, maple syrup and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Add the almond flour, cinnamon, baking soda and sea salt and mix again until all of the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
- If using add-ins fold them into the batter gently.
- Pour the batter into the pan and tap it on a hard surface to level the mixture and remove access air.
- Bake for 45 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the pan on a wire rack before removing the bread or muffins.