Is it just me or is it nearly impossible to go a whole day without some form of chocolate? I will either toss some chunks of it into baked goods, add chocolate protein to a smoothie, use cocoa powder in my protein bites, or you know just eat some chocolate chips by the handful. I generally try my very best to limit my intake but we all have a kryptonite and this is mine. Could be worse things, right?!
The other day I made these muffins and had serious intentions of making them without the chocolate. Once I had the ingredients mixed, I stared at the bowl of batter tapping my fingers on the counter contemplating. Something was missing. I considered adding in some crushed pistachios, chunks of banana or even drizzling cashew butter on top after they baked but nothing seemed THAT appealing. I went to the pantry to see if I might find another option and I swear as soon as I opened the door there they were. Those darn chocolate chips were just screaming “Use me! Use me!”. Had they had any form of mobility I swear they would have leapt into my hands. At that very moment I knew, once again, that those sweet little morsels had gotten the better of me.
And to tell you the truth, I’m not even mad. The chocolate chips in this recipe are EVERYTHING. Although you could do without (not recommended imo) they give these muffins the little bit of melty, sweet goodness that they need. I mean, they are gluten-free and use some pretty healthy ingredients so it really is a win! Plus, who’s going to complain about a little chocolate? Um, not me!
These muffins are so easy and delicious! They require just a blender, a few simple ingredients and chocolate (cause we all deserve a little from time to time!).
Banana Chocolate Chip Blender Muffins
Author: The Happy Hungry Yogi
Makes: 6 Muffins
Prep time: 5 minutes
Bake time: 25 minutes
- 1/2 c cashew butter (almond also works great for this recipe)
- 1/2 c rolled oats
- 1/4 c maple syrup
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 c mini dairy-free chocolate chips + additional for topping (milk chocolate chips are okay too).
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly grease/spray a muffin pan ( I like to use coconut oil spray) and set aside.
- Add the cashew butter, oats, maple syrup, banana, egg, flax meal and baking soda to the blender and pulse on high until all of the ingredients are combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Scoop out the batter and fill each muffin cavity about half to 3/4 of the way full (will make 6 muffins).
- Sprinkle each muffin with additional chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake for 25 minutes until muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of one comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before removing from the pan.
- Store any leftover muffins in a sealed container for 3-5 days.