I don’t know if it’s me being almost 7 months pregnant or just me being me but I can’t even even wash dishes in hot water without feeling like I’m going to melt into the floor. New England is notorious for its crazy weather such as skipping the so-called Spring and diving head first into summer. Perfect example, the past few days we’ve reached record temps in the 90’s and I just. Can’t. Function.
I’m currently melting just writing this blog post…
Aside from the excessive dragging myself from point A to point B and taking a cold shower at least ten times a day, I’ve sworn off turning on the oven. With that being said I strolled up and down the isles of the grocery store the other day wondering what the heck I would make for dinners ALL SUMMER LONG. I mean you can only eat so many salads and I can’t order my boyfriend to grill for the next couple of months, well then again… So, I began to brainstorm what would require minimal prep (time spent cutting, measuring, etc.) and just the least amount of time spent in the kitchen. I began to think of my crockpot and how it has always been such a life saver on busy days when cooking time doesn’t exist. Generally we tend to think of the crockpot as a hearty, comfort food type of kitchen gadget, aka a cold weather tool, but why not instead consider it a personal chef of sorts? GENIUS! So, just like that this ridiculously easy meatball recipe came about.
This recipe requires only 6 ingredients and hardly any prep time. Not only are these meatballs full of flavor and super tender but they are such a versatile meal from serving along side seasonal veggie noodles (think of all of those extra zucchinis!) or pasta or even in a sandwich with melted cheese. Talk about the perfect dish! You may just want to give a little extra love to your crockpot for this one.
6 Ingredient Bison Crockpot Meatballs
Author: The Happy Hungry Yogi
Makes: 16 Meatballs
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5-6 hours on low
- 1 lb ground bison
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 c gluten-free plain bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp any Italian seasoning blend (I used a homemade version I had on hand)
- 1 jar of your favorite tomato sauce
- Combine the bison and all of the ingredients, except the tomato sauce, in a large mixing bowl.
- By hand, blend the ingredients together until well combined.
- Form the meatballs by rolling about 2 tablespoons worth of mixture between the palms of your hand to form a tight ball. Repeat until you’ve made about 16 meatballs and/or used up all of the mixture.
- Pour the tomato sauce into the crockpot and place the meatballs into the sauce.
- Cook covered on low for 5-6 hours or until no longer pink in the center (they may finish prior so adjust accordingly).
- Serve warm over favorite veggie noodles or gluten-free pasta. I enjoyed mine over lightly sautéed carrot noodles…YUM!