Sometimes I get overwhelmed with the amount of recipes I’ve made over the past several years. I do also tend to cook a lot of repeat meals out of both convenience and taste. Every now and then, however, I seek to cook something new and find myself shuffling back through my old recipes for something new-ish.
With the amount of recipe testing, tasting, and tweaking I do I tend forget about some of my old favorites…until I make them again.
This week I decided for a change of flavor (pun intended) to remake some of my old recipes. First up was this Chicken + Chickpea Coconut Curry and OH. MY. WORD. I forgot how easy AND delicious this recipe is! It’s a bowl of pure (healthy) comfort made in only 30 minutes. The perfectly balanced sweet and smokey sauce is simmered with tender chicken and hearty chickpeas to create the most flavor combination. I served this dish with the fluffiest brown rice and literally could have just melted away into my dish.
This recipe is simple, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, and makes the perfect weeknight meal for the whole family!
Chicken + Chickpea Coconut Curry
Author: The Hungry Happy Mama
Yields: 6 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 c onion, chopped (approx. 1 small)
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes, unsalted
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz can reduced fat coconut milk
- 2 boneless skinless cooked chicken breasts, shredded
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp ginger
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- sea salt to taste
- *optional: fresh chopped cilantro, quinoa, brown rice or cauliflower rice to serve (Use cauliflower rice if keeping grain-free.)
- In a large skillet warm the oil over medium heat and add the chopped onion. Cook for a few minutes until it begins to soften.
- Add in the tomatoes, chickpeas, coconut milk, chicken, and seasonings. Stir to combine.
- Cover the pan loosely and bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering, reduce the heat to low and cook for 20 minutes.
- When ready shut off the heat and enjoy immediately.
- Serve over rice, quinoa, or veggies.
INSTRUCTIONS (SLOW COOKER)
- First, add the chicken breasts to the bottom of the pot along with the avocado oil.
- Next, add the remaining ingredients on top of the chicken (except the coconut milk and chickpeas).
- Add in one cup of chicken stock or water and cover.
- Set the crockpot on low for 3-4 hours or high 5-6 hours.
- During the last 30 minutes stir in the coconut milk and chickpeas. Cover again and let it finish cooking.
- When the timer is done, remove the chicken and shred with two forks, return the chicken to the pot, stir and serve.
Storing: Curry will last for up to 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge.