I have this thing, it’s like a “I can’t live without you, you’re my soul mate” kind of thing with coffee. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t even know my own name somedays if I didn’t have a cup of the stuff to kick start my day. I don’t necessarily like to call it an addiction since that just makes it sound so terrible so I prefer to consider it a necessity, it’s kind of up there with oxygen (ha!). I’m pretty sure if you cut me open I may just bleed a high quality dark roast. Not like it’s a bad thing…
You’re probably wondering why I’m talking about coffee when clearly this is a smoothie and clearly it’s green…not coffee colored at all. Well, let me introduce to you my latest and greatest way to jumpstart my energy, matcha (sorry coffee, you’re temporarily being put on the back burner- pun intended). I’m sure you’ve heard the word in the health and foodie world and all of its great benefits but if you haven’t here’s a few of matcha’s awesome features (besides it tasting oh so great);
- High in antioxidants including EGCg which is known for its cancer fighting properties. Matcha has 100 times more EGCg than any other tea!
- Boosts memory and concentration.
- It gives you a natural, clean boost of energy and endurance which can last up to 6 hours and because of the effects of L-Theanine (an amino acid that stimulates the brain) you get none of the side effects like nervousness or hypertension.
- Shown to increase metabolism and burn calories.
- Not only does its high levels of chlorophyll give it a vibrant green color but the chlorophyll also makes it a powerful detoxifier which naturally removes heavy metals and chemical toxins from the body.
- It boosts the immune system since its packed with all of the good stuff like Potassium, Vitamins A & C, Iron, Protein, and Calcium.
Now the part you’ve all been waiting for…
Matcha Banana Smoothie
Author: The Happy Hungry Yogi
- 1/2 c unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 large banana (about 3/4 c sliced)
- 1 scoop Sunwarrior Vanilla Protein (or any other vanilla protein of choice)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- In a blender, combine all of the ingredients and pulse until smooth. Serve immediately.
Tip: These measurements create a delicious and amazingly creamy (eat it with a spoon) kind of smoothie, if you prefer a thinner consistency add an additional half cup of liquid.