If there’s anything you learn about me upon meeting me for the first time it’s that I’m a coffee addict. The reason you’d find this out so quickly would most likely be because as I’m shaking your hand my other one is being occupied by, you guessed it, a cup of coffee. Now when I say that coffee is my life force I’m really not exaggerating in the least. Basically, if you were to cut me open I’d mostly likely bleed the stuff. Wait, is that bad?
The thing about waking up and requiring a cup prior to your eyes even opening (and how I make it to the kitchen in the morning like this I don’t even know) is that you really CAN make it work magic beyond just the quick caffeine fix to get you going. There’s so many ways you can incorporate and reap some pretty fantastic health benefits in a single cup of joe. Here let me break it down for you…
Chocolate Collagen Latte
Author: The Hungry Happy Mama
- 1/2 cup of hot coffee
- 1/3 c dairy-free milk
- 1 scoop chocolate collagen powder (or sub with unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder)
- 1 tbsp raw cashews
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Blend all ingredients together in a high speed blender for about one minute and drink immediately while warm.
What you get (besides an insanely delicious cup of coffee)…
- Dairy-free milk, a great option for those who are lactose intolerant or vegan/vegetarian, can aid in weight management while supplying you with a healthy dose of calcium and vitamin D.
- Collagen powder (in particular chocolate collagen) is a favorite of mine (and not because a form of chocolate is involved) but it has been shown to balance hormones, give you glowing skin, prevent premature aging, prevent heart disease and even give you an energy boost.
- Cashews in raw form are full of heart-healthy fatty acids, antioxidants, protein, and are rich in copper, zinc, magnesium, iron and phosphorous.
- Maple syrup is an ideal alternative to processed sweeteners. Since it is natural and minimally processed it doesn’t get stripped of its good stuff like zinc, manganese and antioxidants. It is also lower on the glycemic index making it have less of an impact on blood sugar levels.
- Cinnamon is another great spice that packs some major benefits including the ability to lower blood sugar and has both antifungal and antibacterial properties making it a great way to naturally fight off infections.
Now do you really need more of a reason to drink a cup of coffee?!