There isn’t much I can say about this dish other than YUM! It’s one of those meals that was sort of created by accident then I questioned what I did because it was too simple to be that good. After remaking it, several times, I can assure you it really is just delicious, healthy and that simple. I guess I can’t take ALL of the credit since BBQ sauce poured over anything is basically perfection. Not to mention, I can’t ever stress enough my love for sweet potatoes. Combining the sweetness of the veggie with the tangy, spicy flavors of a good BBQ sauce and it becomes a party in your mouth. This grain-free and gluten-free dish will satisfy your tastebuds for sure. So don’t be deceived by its awesomeness you can enjoy this meal while sticking to your healthy living.
BBQ Chicken & Sweet Potato Casserole
Author: The Happy Hungry Yogi
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 large sweet potatoes (equaling about 4 c once chopped)
- 1 small sweet onion (equaling about 1 1/2 c once chopped)
- 1/4 c avocado oil
- 1/2 c favorite BBQ sauce
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and place in an oven safe baking dish.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes and cut into bite sized pieces and add to the chicken.
- Add oil and BBQ sauce to a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Pour the sauce over chicken and sweet potatoes and toss all ingredients to coat.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 30-40 minutes until potatoes are fork tender and the chicken is cooked through. During the last 10 minutes remove the foil and cook uncovered.
- Serve the casserole warm along with a fresh garden salad (it’s the perfect combo!).
Storing: Any leftovers will last for up 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge.