I realized as I was making this dish how much I cook with bell peppers. I mean seriously. I need to make a mental note to add a few plants to my garden this year! I find that peppers pair well with just about everything. They add a bit of sweetness and crunch to a variety of my dishes, and now you can add this one to your weekly dinner menu as well! Chicken fajitas are such a simple dish to prepare. Like my other recipes, this one can be modified to fit your taste buds, dietary needs and/or with what you have on hand. You can wrap it into tortillas, serve over brown rice, or a simple bed of crispy greens. The options are endless! This recipe is gluten-free, paleo and nut-free. It makes great leftovers, too!
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
Author: The Happy Hungry Yogi
Yields: 4 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 25 minutes
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- juice of 1 lime
- 3 tbsp + 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- sea salt + pepper to taste
- 2 large bell peppers
- 1 small sweet onion
- Optional to serve: tortillas, brown rice, cauliflower rice, mixed green, avocado, shredded cheese, salsa
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Place chicken beasts into a large ziplock bag and pound lightly. Cut the chicken into strips and return to the bag.
- In a small bowl whisk together lime juice, 3 tablespoons of oil, maple syrup, coconut aminos, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, and sea salt. Pour into the chicken, let marinate while you prepare the veggies.
- Clean and slice the onions and peppers into strips.
- Lay the veggies onto the pan and toss with the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, sea salt and pepper.
- Push the veggies around the outer edge of the pan the chicken to the center in an even layer.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. During the last few minutes turn the oven to broil to crisp up.
- Let cool slightly before serving.
Storing: leftovers will last for up to 3 days in a tightly sealed container in the fridge.
Vegan option : I’ve also made this recipe using tempeh in place of the chicken. Slice the tempeh into strips and otherwise follow the recipe directions exactly.